- 1. Title the outline - write the title of your paper at the top of the
- 2. Follow the sample outline format for numbering and lettering. Main
ideas are chief
- points. Label them I, II, III, etc. Each main topic must include at
least two subtopics.
- 3. Subtopics for each main topic are labeled A, B, C, etc.
- 4. Details for subtopics are labeled 1, 2, 3, etc.
- 5. Subdetails or examples for details are labeled a, b, c, etc.
- 6. Use a period after each division letter or number. Do not place
periods after topics or
- subtopics not stated in the form of a sentence.
- 7. Begin the main topic, subtopics, and details with capital letters.
- 8. Maintain a parallel structure throughout the outline; if you start
with phrases, don't
- switch to sentences.
- 9. Indent as shown in the example. You should be able to draw a line
through all the
- periods after Roman numerals, another through all the periods after
capital letters, etc.